Granola is the perfect speedy breakfast, I like to sprinkle it over a fruit salad for some added crunch and it’s handy to have in the cupboard when you’re in a rush and haven’t planned lunch for a work day. Shop bought granola tends to be loaded with sugar and ingredients I’ve never heard of before so that in itself is a good reason to make your own. It also gives you the chance to get creative and mix all the ingredients together that you know you love.
Apart from sultanas I’m not a big fan of dried fruit so I chose to go extra nutty. I used one bag of mixed nuts and a handful of sultanas to mix with my rolled oats. For the wet ingredients I used coconut oil, coconut syrup, honey and vanilla extract.
You will need:
3 cups of rolled oats
Pinch of salt
Handful of sultanas
1 bag of mixed nuts
1 tsp of cinnamon
3 heaped tbsp of coconut oil
2 tbsp of honey
2 tbsp of coconut syrup (or any alternative syrup)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180c
2. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
3. Add all of the wet ingredients into a small saucepan and heat until melted
4. Add the liquid mix to the oats and mix until all the ingredients are coated
5. Melt a small amount of coconut oil in a baking tray before adding your granola and spreading evenly
6. Put in the oven for around 20-30 minutes making sure to stir the mix every so often
The granola should now be golden brown and nice and crunchy. Once left to cool add to an airtight jar for storage. I like to serve my granola with almond milk or fruit and yoghurt. Do you make your own granola or have any tips to share? Let me know in the comments!