I can’t believe it’s been a month since I last blogged. I’ve been a busy lady working some extra hours, catching up with family and friends and just like that the days have flew by. I’ve also been feeling slightly uninspired recently, y’know one of those creative ruts, but I’m out of it now and I’m back with something yummy.
If there was ever such a thing as a granolaholic that’d be me. It’s took me a few tries to come up with this recipe but I think I’ve got it just right this time. I wanted a bar that would satisfy my sweet tooth but wasn’t filled with crap. Yeah, these will still probably be just as fattening as a chocolate bar, but at least I know all of the ingredients.
– 250g rolled oats
– 100g dark chocolate chips
– 50g chopped almonds
– Pinch of salt
– 3 tbsp Honey
– 3 heaped tbsp coconut oil
– 4 heaped tbsp almond butter
1. Start by adding all of the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl. Combine the oats, chocolate chips, chopped almonds and salt.
2. Add coconut oil and almond butter to a jug and pop in the microwave for 20 seconds. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes or you will melt your choc chips!
3. Add honey, almond butter and coconut oil to mixing bowl making sure to coat all of the oats. If you struggle to coat your oats add some extra honey or a syrup if you prefer. You might find the mixture doesn’t seem very sticky but that’s fine, once it’s all compacted down they will hold together.
4. Finally add your mixture to a dish or deep baking tray. I like my bars to be about 2cm high. Using a spoon, arrange the mixture evenly and pack the mixture down as firmly as possible.
5. Pop them in the fridge for at least an hour or two before slicing them up. I like to eat them just out of the fridge and find they hold together better at a cool temperature. You could even make a big batch and freeze them between baking parchment.
Now it’s time to enjoy. I find these are best served on a lazy Sunday afternoon with a cuppa tea. Yum!